Kick the cans this year!
A new year inspires a fresh start; especially with the foods we feed our bodies. Dieting trends come and go, but simply getting back to nature will always be the best nutritional approach to health which promotes weight control and disease prevention. Even some popular diets (i.e., Paleo, Clean Eating) promote whole foods that are closest to their natural state over pre-packaged, processed and fast foods. The concept is simple: eat like our ancestors, before the modern diet of refined foods and unnatural fats, which are major culprits in obesity and degenerative diseases like diabetes and heart diseases. Freshfields Farm is the ideal place for fresh, whole, superior foods at affordable prices. Follow these tips when shopping fresh for your best health:
Fill your cart with:
- Foods with little/ no processing: those which are perishable within a week or so, with very few ingredients. A once-a-week stocking of the refrigerator with a monthly stocking up on dry goods is the most healthful way to shop. The following foods should make up the majority of your daily diet:
- Lean meats, poultry and seafood: great sources of protein, B vitamins, iron and healthy fats. Look closely at your labels. For instance, Freshfields Farm offers Farm fresh chicken with no water or sodium “enhancements” added
- Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables like grapes, pomegranates and blueberries and greens like spinach, kale and collards, which offer disease prevention. Use our Colors of Health in-store signage to determine the specific health benefits of each color.
- Healthy fats such as avocados, fish, nuts and seeds: promote healthy cholesterol levels.
- Seasonal Produce: For instance, in winter months, citrus, collards, cherries, and asparagus, just to name some.
- Natural Detoxifiers: Incorporate produce that naturally helps rid your body of toxins including grapefruit, beets, lemons, limes, garlic, artichokes, broccoli, ginger, red radish and apples.
Try keeping your refrigerator and fruit bowls stocked with fresh items instead of your pantry stocked with processed foods with long ingredient lists, and see how much better you look and feel this year!